Old 15-04-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Composting Rhubarb leaves.

writes

Where does all the oxalic acid from the leaves go then? If it's well
mixed and diluted with other material it will break down, but a pile
of rhubarb only will stay acid for a considerable time.
I do agree that the warning on the TV programme was over-emphasised.

The theory in the body is that it reacts with calcium to form calcium
oxalate. So presumably it will react fairly easily with any slightly
alkaline part of the surrounding soil.

By the time it's broken down enough to be used as compost, I'd be
surprised if it was noticeably acid.
--
Kay