Old 15-04-2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William Rose William Rose is offline

Default Disappearing Bees

In article ,
"Manelli Family" wrote:

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
I just caught the tail end of a show regarding this. I didn't see what the
causes are for it happening. Apparently it's fairly widespread. Did you
hear the "whys"?

It sounds like it's possibly some virus or parasite that effects their
brains.

Very interesting. I wonder how it'll effect our food prices.

This is an older link but it speaks to crop production.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._honeybees.htm

Bees, via pollination, are responsible for 15 to 30 percent of the food
U.S. consumers eat. But in the last 50 years the domesticated honeybee
population‹which most farmers depend on for pollination‹has declined by
about 50 percent, scientists say.

Unless actions are taken to slow the decline of domesticated honeybees
and augment their populations with wild bees, many fruits and vegetables
may disappear from the food supply, said Claire Kremen, a conservation
biologist at Princeton University in New Jersey.

Anecdotes of farmers losing their crops owing to the honeybee shortage
appear to be on the increase, Kremen said. Last February, for example,
there were insufficient honeybees for all the almond blossoms in
California. As a result some farmers failed to meet expected yields. . .
------

I was born in '43. Two years later, America was a rich country, doing
half of the world's business while the rest of the industrialized world
re-built itself. We had stay at home moms and , families could survive
on one pay check. The future, if we had one (atomic bomb), promised to
be better. Even if we survive global warming, and that's not a given,
the future won't be better for most Americans because there are three
billion people in the world who live on less than $2/day.
( http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Facts.asp ) Too many
people watching their babies die from lack of 10 cents worth of food or
a dollar's worth of medicine. Food, water, health care and, shelter have
to be spread around or push will come to shove. 9/11 was a push but,
you'll never hear that from this administration.

If we can't get a handle on global warming it won't matter anyway, for
anyone. If you want to give yourself a really good scare, look at the
Oct. 2006 issue of Scientific America, pg. 64, Impact from the Deep.
When we hit 500 parts per million of CO2 (We are now around 400 ppm) the
heating becomes irreversible. At 900 parts per million, we are looking
at a mass extinction of anything that breaths oxygen.

Read the article and tell me where they are wrong. Please.

Oh yeah, definitely higher prices for pollinated crops.

- Bill
Carp Diem