Old 15-04-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_3_] cloud dreamer[_3_] is offline

Default Disappearing Bees

William Rose wrote:

If we can't get a handle on global warming it won't matter anyway, for
anyone. If you want to give yourself a really good scare, look at the
Oct. 2006 issue of Scientific America, pg. 64, Impact from the Deep.
When we hit 500 parts per million of CO2 (We are now around 400 ppm) the
heating becomes irreversible. At 900 parts per million, we are looking
at a mass extinction of anything that breaths oxygen.

Read the article and tell me where they are wrong. Please.

To put those numbers into perspective:

"The current (year 2007) concentration of CO2 is at about 380 ppm and it
is currently increased by 2 to 3 ppm each year."

So, at a conservative 2 ppm increase per year, the heating will become
irreversible within sixty years.

Mass extinction is on tap in less than a thousand years...by which time
they will have created a method to remove the CO2 from the air.
Actually, the technology exists today, but the cost is prohibitive in
the current political atmosphere. I imagine it'll become "worth it"
within a decade or two.

To further put those numbers into a historical perspective...over the
past million years, natural warming cycles (8 to 10 of them followed by
ice ages) would normally (naturally) see an increase of 30 ppm over a
1000 year period. We surpassed that in less than the last 20 years. How
anyone can look at those numbers and still hide behind the "it's a
natural cycle" explanation is beyond me.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's ever warming Far East