Old 15-04-2007, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Washing-up liquid and aphids

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does a dilute solution of washing-up liquid actually DO anything to
aphids? They are running amok on my clematis armandii. The ladybirds
seem to be quite happy eating a couple and then basking in the sun
while the aphids go on multiplying around them astronomically, and the
only effect I can see of my regular washing-up liquid attacks is that
the force of the spray dislodges the buggers. I can do that with
water.

If the ladybirds don't start earning their keep and breeding I shall
be down Robert Dyas next week buying some insecticide and saying
farewell to aphids, ladybirds and all other living creatures in the
vicinity.

AIUI the best way of using it is to shake up the bottle and envelop the
aphids in the foam.

Steve