Old 15-04-2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens,sci.bio.botany,uk.rec.gardening,aus.gardens,de.rec.garten
mel turner mel turner is offline

Default please help! Botanical name of flowers ...

John Ladasky" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 14, 12:34 am, "DONOTREPLY" wrote:
Flowers Photo Gallery:http://y23stockpic.free.fr/200612-flowers/
please !! help with botanical names!!

I like Mel Turner's use of Google Image links to assist with the
identification (even if I disagree with some of his ID's), so I'll
borrow it.

*** "Closeup red fruiting flowers" (n20060927_183201):

I'm starting with my weakest ID, but trust me, I'll get better. This
doesn't look like a bromeliad to me, but rather something in the heath
family (Ericaceae). It's hard to tell, though -- are there Ericaceous
flowers with no sepals? Try these images for comparison:

http://sagehen.ucnrs.org/Photos/misc...20(Heath).html
http://www.nybg.org/bsci/online_pubs.html
http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/scripts/de...?SpCode=ANDGLA

There are Ericaceae with inferior ovaries that may look even more
like the photo in question,e.g.:

http://www.botany.org/plantimages/Im...bot89-2&IS=700

but I'm still pretty sure this is an _Aechmea_. Looking a bit
further, I think it's identifiable as _A. fulgens_, or at least it's
the species I was thinking of:

http://www.nybromeliadsociety.org/Ga...20discolor.jpg
http://olivier.paris2.free.fr/divers...9-Aechmea.html
http://biotech.tipo.gov.tw/plantjpg/...0variegata.jpg