Old 15-04-2007, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Dead Bamboo

On 15 Apr, 22:17, Pam Moore wrote:
I have mentioned this before, but wonder how widespread this
occurrence is.
My bamboo (phylostachys) which I have had for nearly 20 years, has
died. It turned brown last Autumn and I realised it was flowering:
not a good omen, as I have heard of this phenomenon of all plants of
one species flowering and dying.
My dughter-in-law has one, a piece off mine. It is gone the same way.
I have also seen 3 more in the same condition. One in a private
garden, one at Westonbirt and one at Forde Abbey, both the latter 2
were huge clumps, certainly older than my 20-year-old.
Has anyone experienced this?
Does anyone know whether they ever grow back?
In the wild presumably they seed themselves, but I have cut mine to
the ground as it looked so ugly.

Pam in Bristol

I had the same problem about 5 years ago, nothing regrew, but I have
had a couple of seedling clumps come back, though the sparrows had a
field day , and I never thought to collect seed.
I left the stems in place and grew morning glory up them, looked good.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries