Old 16-04-2007, 01:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
suspicious minds suspicious minds is offline

Default Composting Rhubarb leaves.

wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:36:01 +0100, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
: On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 00:53:28 +0100, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
: wrote:
:
: I was watching the TV earlier tonight and an 'allotmenteer' said she
doesn't
: compost rhubarb leaves because they are too acid.
:
: I have always composted ours.
:
: Any comments please?
:
:
: If you have a huge pile of them and nothing else, they would produce
: compost too acid to apply to acid-hating plants. But mixed with other
: ingredients there will not be a problem. The key to good compost is
: always to use a variety of different ingredients.

I don't think that's right, it doesn't necessarily make acid compost

Where does all the oxalic acid from the leaves go then?

The oxalate is decomposed by microorganisms
http://www.geocities.com/oxalate2000/index.html