Old 16-04-2007, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dave Dave is offline

Default Disappearing Bees

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"Johnny" wrote in news:1176642808.784690.237520
@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) occurs when a hive's inhabitants
suddenly disappear, leaving only queens, eggs and a few immature
workers, like so many apian Mary Celestes. The vanished bees are never
found, but thought to die singly far from home. The parasites,
wildlife and other bees that normally raid the honey and pollen left
behind when a colony dies, refuse to go anywhere near the abandoned
hives.

The alarm was first sounded last autumn, but has now hit half of all
American states. The West Coast is thought to have lost 60 per cent of
its commercial bee population, with 70 per cent missing on the East
Coast.

I just asked an entomologist about this. He said that there are a couple
of things that might be happening: mites and/or wasting disease.
Apparently a similar thing happened about thirty years ago which was due
wasting disease. He said that most of the bees in this country are of
Italian origin and when brought here they displaced the natural
pollinators
that we had here. He seems unalarmed that the bees are disappearing and
seems to think that other pollinators will replace the missing bees and/or
we will engineer a better bee from this.

While I'm all for the native pollinators to kick in, Dr. Frankenstein and
his cohorts should bow out on this one.

I saw alot of non-honeybees out here 2 years ago. A bit smaller than
honeybees. They were attracted to anything with a bright color including my
clothing. They loved the contents of the almost empty soda cans dropped by
the people building my house. Lack of rain and flowers drove their hunger.
--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins