Old 16-04-2007, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
** Frank ** **    Frank    ** is offline

Default Greenhouse installation

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 07:51:44 -0700, "** Frank **"
wrote:

Just got a 10' x12' x 10' height polycarbonate greenhouse with aluminum
structure kid for the wife:
The instruction is to excavate the area to a depth of 5" and bury the
greenhouse base frame in it with gravel. No other anchoring method is
provided. Even though I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area with not
that much wind but I'm concern about wind loading after installation. Has
anyone installed one of this?

I have a 200 square foot greenhouse which is anchored using in ground,
auger-like thingies. They were sold as an accessory with the
greenhouse. I didn't visit the URL you provided, but we have strong,
straight line winds here in S. Central TX and those winds can last
many hours, sometimes days. So far, the greenhouse hasn't flown away.
If you are concerned about high winds you can actually have someone
come in and pour a foundation with the frame in it. I still say you
should take a look for accessories to hold it down.

I was considering a concrete foundation but someone told me the lime in it
will eat away the aluminum.