Old 16-04-2007, 03:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default Pergola finished........

BoyPete wrote:

Reel McKoi wrote:
"Hal" wrote in message
I'd try to keep it a secret, or move it away from the pond. I have a
few that visit my pond for water and am sure they bring in some
parasites, but I can't shoot them it is too close.

==============================
If you're in the USA the only birds I am ware of that you can
legally shoot are the English Sparrows and the European Starlings.

HUH!! What's wrong with our sparrows and starlings?

They're disgusting pests, that belong on your side of the pond (where, as I
recall, they weren't disgusting pests). I was only 11 when I left England,
so my recollection could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing flocks of
several hundred, to thousands, of starlings. House sparrows kill many of
the birds that compete (poorly) for similar food and shelter. I used to
put up nest boxes for Tree Swallows, but it got too depressing when I kept
finding them dead, killed by House Sparrows.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated