Old 15-04-2007, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Filling a large hole in the lawn

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone.
I have a baby on the way so have decided to remove the pond from my
lawn. It was quite large (8foot by 5foot and 3foot deep).

I now have a large hole in my lawn.

I am currently getting the patio replaced, so i have filled up 60% of
the hole with broken up paving and loose material.

I have 2 options of how to finish this off:

1. Transplant some turf from an area that is about to be replaced by
my new patio. This is very poor quality grass with 60% moss. It has
been growing in a shaded area with poor drainage. This is why I chose
to pave this section of my lawn.

Whats the soil like? if good, use the soil and reseed. If the pond area gets
good sun light it shouldn't have the same moss problem. If the soon to be
patio soil is in every way decent dig it up and fill in the hole. Place and
turf face down so the grass is underneath. You could break it up with a
spade and then leave it for a while for the grass to die off and root system
to break down. You can spray and stubborn growth or cover it with black
plastic, canvas tarpaulin, old carpet whatever and let nature do a job. When
nice and crumbly seed in to it. May take a little time for things to work
but you fully use what you have.

rob