Old 16-04-2007, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Stewart Stephen Stewart is offline

Default Scarify lawn before weed feed'n mosskill?

"Peter Robinson" wrote in message
Stephen Stewart wrote:

I had heard that scarifying helps spread the moss when it's alive so
you're
better to wait until the mosskiller has had it's effect before
scarifying.

I hope that's not true because I expended much effort on Saturday
scarified my extremely mossy back lawn on Saturday before mowing it. I
was intending to weed & feed it today, but didn't get round to it. So
much to do at this time of year!

I think the theory behind it is that when the moss is still alive the
scarifying spreads the spores.

Oohh that's a tough job doing it by hand though.

My dad has a powered scarifier that I borrow when needed.

Whether this is true or not I'm not sure but there's certainy no harm in
scarifying afterwards.

If nothing else, it's very good exercise.

I did it entirely by hand once and it nearly killed me. :-)

Mind you I did go over it about five times before I was happy.

Stephen