Old 16-04-2007, 06:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Ralph & His Clowder Ralph & His Clowder is offline

Default turtle in a koi pond

I have a pond full of GF that were originally bought as feeder fish for
my RES. The turtles will eat babies (as do the adult GF) but leave the
big ones alone. They will nibble on corpses, though. Unless you have koi
fry, you'd probably be okay putting the little RES in the koi pond --
just be sure he is big enough the koi don't eat him.

RES, as previously noted, do need a spot to clamber onto to bask. Rocks
in the pond or a partially submerged log do well.
www.clowder.net/cats/Turtles/pond.html
http://www.clowder.net/cats/Turtles/pond.html shows my pond with
basking spots. Turtles and fish can bee seen at the bottom of the page.

Gabrielle in southern Arizona

Dan Robinson wrote:

Last year someone offered me a turtle pair (RES) and I put them in my
waterlily pond. They disappeared and we never saw them again. I
figured they crawled over the edge of the raised pond and went looking
for a new home during the major storm that occurred a couple of days
after their arrival. This spring while trimming one of my flower beds
I noticed a tiny baby turtle. He was smaller than a 50 cent coin. He
was looking dried out so we decided to put him in a spare aquarium we
had. Over the last couple of weeks he has grown quickly and we are
wondering what to do next. If I put him in the lily pond I suspect he
will climb out and have a hard time surviving our hot Houston summer.
We have a large koi pond and it would be nearly impossible to climb
out of it. Would this put our koi at risk?
Dan