Old 16-04-2007, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Serena Blanchflower Serena Blanchflower is offline

Default Floppy Eucalyptus

* FarmI wrote, On 16/04/2007 19:50:
"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in message
I had a eucalyptus cut down, about a year ago, in the hope of turning it
into a large shrub. After a few months, there was a huge amount of new
growth and, in the autumn, the new shoots were thinned down, just leaving
a few of the stronger ones. They are now looking rather floppy and sorry
for themselves.

What can I do to encourage them to grow up and develop into a strong
shrub? Will it be enough to give them some support, to get them going in
the right direction? At the moment, they can hardly see the light, as
there are a number of taller shrubs surrounding them. You can see a photo
of it at http://www.flickr.com/photos/66407485@N00/461346555/ - the
previous picture in the set is the same eucalyptus last August, when it
had started sprouting enthusiastically.

The August photos which show the Eucalypt sprouting vigorously was when it
was turning into a vigorous shrub.

I think you overdid the autumn thinnning.

That's what I'm afraid of.

--
Cheers, Serena

I have never heard anything about the resolutions of the apostles, but
a good deal about their acts. (Horace Mann)