Old 16-04-2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam[_2_] sam[_2_] is offline

Default Washing-up liquid and aphids

Martin Pentreath wrote:
Does a dilute solution of washing-up liquid actually DO anything to
aphids? They are running amok on my clematis armandii. The ladybirds
seem to be quite happy eating a couple and then basking in the sun
while the aphids go on multiplying around them astronomically, and the
only effect I can see of my regular washing-up liquid attacks is that
the force of the spray dislodges the buggers. I can do that with
water.

If the ladybirds don't start earning their keep and breeding I shall
be down Robert Dyas next week buying some insecticide and saying
farewell to aphids, ladybirds and all other living creatures in the
vicinity.

Aphids are "farmed" by ants.
I don't know about clematis but when my broad beans
first show signs I grub 'em out between fingers and thumb,
then I rub my grubby fingers against the unaffected shoots.
It seems to send a signal to the ants " Don't farm here!"
Better than chemicals.

Sam