Old 16-04-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Robinson Peter Robinson is offline

Default Scarify lawn before weed feed'n mosskill?

Stephen Stewart wrote:

"Peter Robinson" wrote in message

Stephen Stewart wrote:

[...] you're better to wait until the mosskiller has had it's effect
before scarifying.

I hope that's not true because I expended much effort on Saturday
scarified my extremely mossy back lawn on Saturday before mowing it.

I think the theory behind it is that when the moss is still alive the
scarifying spreads the spores.

There does seem to be a certain amount of logic in that!

Oohh that's a tough job doing it by hand though.

My enthusiasm did wane somewhat a third of the way in!

My dad has a powered scarifier that I borrow when needed.

Luxury!

Whether this is true or not I'm not sure but there's certainy no harm in
scarifying afterwards.

If nothing else, it's very good exercise.

I did it entirely by hand once and it nearly killed me. :-)

Mind you I did go over it about five times before I was happy.

After mowing and picking up more moss than grass, it's quite depressing
how much there still seems to be left.

Peter