Old 17-04-2007, 12:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Graham Corbin Graham Corbin is offline

Default Brisbane Forest Park - Bulbophyllum exiguum - 2 photos - 2 files [1/1]

Bulbophyllum exiguum commonly grows here both on trees and rocks,
generally in large matts. These particular ones are growing on a rock
which is covered with a hard dry moss. I don't know the type of moss,
but it is never damp. It is almost like a lichen rather than a moss,
nothing like sphagnum. On large rocks, you can get mats of Bulbophyllum
exiguum completely covering the rock 5m by 5m, quite spectacular when in
full flower. Unfortunately, we are at the end of the flowering season
and the large matts have finished flowering.

I am glad you like the photos. I might just have to post a few more.

Graham Corbin

Delightful bulbo lip. I have to admit to being fascinated with the
hinged lips. Are they growing on/in a mat of sphagnum moss?
The Sarcochilus is a very lovely bloom in miniature.
Thanks for the walk in the park.
SuE