Old 17-04-2007, 07:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
[email protected] kdsexton@no-spamsc.rr.com is offline

Default Roses from seed

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:35:02 +0100, "PA" alves###paulo@gmail#com
wrote:

Hi guys,

I am a complete newbie in growing roses, but I also find roses one of the
most amazing plants. So I decide to try to grow roses from seeds (I know
that they might be different from the original plant, but I also do not know
the original plant, it is just for the fun.) I have now 11 seedlings 4
inches tall and a few more to come in the fridge.

Questions:
Do I need to take any special care till they start flowering?
Will they ever flower?
Do you know any online source on how to polinate roses and how to cross
them?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have the answers to your questions, because I am just starting
to learn about cross-pollination and grafting fruit trees and roses.
It's an interesting subject. I've never started roses from seeds. One
interesting thing I am learning about fruit trees is if you plant a
seed from, say an avocado thinking, "this tasted good, so I'm going to
propogate this", it doesn't turn out like the parent without good root
stock, which I am trying to learn about now, and it seems very
confusing. My grandfather used to graft two roses together to get
varigated colors.

I don't know how they go about naming a new variety of rose, but they
should name one "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"- it starts out as something
beautiful and turns into something you don't recognize" :-)

KS