Old 17-04-2007, 03:55 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_8_] Jonno[_8_] is offline

Default compost problem

You dont have to worry. Nature has ways of disposing of the Human race
if it becomes too successful.
Like in the move "war games, it starts again with a major disaster.

0tterbot wrote:
"Stuart Naylor" wrote in message

i know there's two schools of thought on poo: one is that all poo is good
(that would be me) & the other that carnivorous or omnivorous poo is bad,
only vegetarian poo is good. to me, the latter idea makes no sense - but
anyway, why do you say that?

In just a few words :-)

Cow manure is considered safe and excellent for compost or direct in
the garden but most dogs receive medications periodically to rid them
of parasites and the medications can also kill compost worms. So first
off there is a withholding period when dog poo can't be added to the
worm farm.

but you can add the poo later after it's sat for a while, if you are
concerned :-) also, medications have changed - this may no longer be true in
all cases. (well, i know horse medications have changed - one would need to
find out concerning dog medication specifically).

If a worm farm is used to compost dog poo then the worm farm needs to
be fed dog poo exclusively otherwise if given a choice they tend to
avoid or ignore the dog poo. Using a worm farm just to compost dog poo
could be considered as a waste of a worm farm.

afaik, the poo-farms are very small, not full-size. my dad had one. (he let
it dry out even after i said it was too dry!! gah!!!) it was probably 50cm
wide by 20cm high by (i don't know) something-similar deep.

When dogs are taken for a walk in the street or down the local park
who knows what bugs they could pick up. Fortunately most things would
be most likely to pass through with their droppings. If their
droppings are dug into the ground as a means of getting rid of them
then the situation could be established where dogs could in future
pick up those same bugs in your own backyard. The same could apply if
the dog poo was added to a compost bin or worm farm, there is no
guarantee that the composting would destroy those bugs so they could
possibly survive composting and eventually still finish up in your
garden.

i tend not to think in those terms, but rather one of creating a balance,
but anyway. (one reason of many i completely gave up on teh Mad Dog
Newsgroup was there were too many people there that were just insane - i
doubt most of them actually wanted their dogs to just be DOGS - they
considered them to be some sort of higher species who needed to be actively
protected from everything on earth and it was just nuts... but sorry, i'm
getting off-track.)

So the local council picks up dog poo here along with my garbage.

thanks for your thoughts :-). where i am at is that i would like it if
people thought once, twice, three times about everything that ends up in
landfill, how it came to be that way, & whether we would need to have
landfill at all if we could just get ourselves together & stop treating the
earth like a rubbish dump. "garbage" is a resource, in the same way that
weeds are merely plants we don't like to see become so successful in our
micro-managed world. if our leavings aren't a genuine resource, i ask myself
what we can do about that, because we need to think about these things.
:-)
kylie