Old 17-04-2007, 02:02 PM
macphegf macphegf is offline
Registered User

Default Rock Garden Soil

I'm building a rock garden and have been trying to prepare the soil properly. I fist used a riddle with square holes 1cm accross to get the bigger stones out to use these at the bottom of the bed for better drainage. I then started mixing in sand and compost in fairly equal parts into the soil.

I'm worred that I shouldn't have bothered taking out the bigger stones as now the mixture looks like it might not have very good drainage. Should I just add more sand to the mixture or add gravel or leave as is.

I don't know alot about soil types but I could get some photos if that helps. The soil was part of the neighbouring field which is just used for grass (sheep and cattle)

thanks in advance.