Old 17-04-2007, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon S Rhiannon S is offline

Default Recommended shrubs for common land on our estate

wrote in message
oups.com...
... by which I don't mean the acre of my country estate where the
peasants go to graze their sheep, rather the useless patch of land
that is supposed to be the garden for my flat in Camberwell (dodgy
part of London for those unfamiliar with it) but which looks like a
redundant piece of land on my housing estate.

I thought I'd try to put some low maintenance shrubs in it - the sort
of thing you find planted in supermarket car parks, or other "utility"
areas.

Do you know what I mean? Uninspiring but tough and low maintenance
(I'm not home very often so can't spend much time looking after them)

Can anyone recommend anything - it's part shade, not sure of soil type

I'd recomend a Monkey Puzzle tree, because I like monkey puzzle trees and I
think there should be more of the. Seriously, how about some of the smaller
flowering cherries, crab apples or hollies? All reasonabbly low maintenance
and pretty tough.

--
Rhiannon_s
Due to it's large carbon footprint the light at the end of the tunnel has