Old 17-04-2007, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Barb[_2_] Barb[_2_] is offline

Default plant recommendations

I have a similar problem, and I wanted to plant some seeds to get some
flowers/colour this summer. Of course, as soon as you have dug over the
soil, made it nice and fine etc., it becomes a perfect cat-bog and attracts
the little buggers! In the time it takes for the plants to grow, they've
been destroyed.

I bought some of that fine very fine plastic mesh from the garden centre -
it's about 80p a metre, comes as a rope-type thingy and is pretty wide when
you open it out - and spread that loosely across the new area. Cats won't
go on it and it also seems to stops birds etc. picking at the new seeds. So
far, so good, although I haven't seen any sign of germination yet, which is
another story.

Barb

"Rhiannon S" wrote in message

"flower faerie" wrote in message
Outside the front of our house we have a raised bed. The previous owners
never bothered with it and now the local cats, of which there are many,

have
gotten used to using it as a toilet. What can I do (if anything) to get

rid
of the cats? What can I plant to both deter the cats and give quick

ground
coverage?

Hebes, berberis{sp?} and those spreading junipers will all give a spiky
surface if that helps.
--
Rhiannon_s
Due to it's large carbon footprint the light at the end of the tunnel has