Old 17-04-2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Orange Tree from a Seed?

In message , FragileWarrior
writes
Bill Bowden wrote in news:1176777671.881505.232220
:

I sprouted a little orange tree from a seed and planted it a large
styrofoam coffee cup with "supersoil" potting mix.
It has grown with 3 or 4 shoots, the longest is about 9 inches but
doesn't do well in direct sunshine.

It seems content in my kitchen window with indirect sunshine, but if I
take it outside in direct sunshine, 1 or 2 of the shoots will turn
brown and die in a couple days.

You have to do that gradually. Shade. To partial shade. To sun. Over
several weeks.

I'm wondering if it needs some special fertilizer, or more water, or a
larger pot, or less sunshine?

What are the recommended conditions for small orange trees?

-Bill

Only that you are probably unlikely to get an orange tree like the orange
your seed came from but let us know how it works out.

Citrus seeds are odd. They are often polyembryonic, i.e. contain more
than one plant embryo, and all but one (or all) of the embryos are
formed by (IIRC) somatic embryogenesis, and are clones of the parent. So
with an orange seed you're more likely to get a plant like its parent
than with most other fruit trees.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley