Old 17-04-2007, 06:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

Default Tilling the yard advice please

On 17 Apr 2007 10:19:07 -0700, Capri wrote:

I live in a completely different part oif the country than you
(Florida) but have just gone thru the
same procedure that you are planning...twice.

The first time (a year ago i did it without putting any roundup on the
lawn) I tilled the lawn and
laid down sod on top of our good soil here. withing a few months the
weeds were choking out the grass
and I had to do it all over again.

This time I put roundup on the lawn and killed off all the weeds and
existing grass. I just finished
tilling it and have raked off all of the dead weed and roots and
stuff. All I have is nice black dirt waiting
for the sod which will be delivered tomorrow.

Keep the cats inside for awhile while the roundup does its thing,

Thanks, I was sort of afraid of that. But I just looked around for the
toxicity of Roundup and came across this:

http://www.alternatives2toxics.org/c...site/round.htm

Doesn't look too promising. Without the cats I might be willing to do
it but with the cats? No, I don't think so. There seem to be some safe
crabgrass killers such as this:

http://www.crabgrassalert.com/safe_herbicides.html

but I how do I really know that it's safe? Arrgh.