Old 17-04-2007, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default plant recommendations

flower faerie writes

"Barb" wrote in message
I have a similar problem, and I wanted to plant some seeds to get some
flowers/colour this summer. Of course, as soon as you have dug over the
soil, made it nice and fine etc., it becomes a perfect cat-bog and attracts
the little buggers! In the time it takes for the plants to grow, they've
been destroyed.

I bought some of that fine very fine plastic mesh from the garden centre -
it's about 80p a metre, comes as a rope-type thingy and is pretty wide
when you open it out - and spread that loosely across the new area. Cats
won't go on it and it also seems to stops birds etc. picking at the new
seeds. So far, so good, although I haven't seen any sign of germination
yet, which is another story.

Maybe the mesh and some jeyes fluid is the way to go...

If you're using the mesh, I wouldn't bother with the Jeyes.

Short sticks stick into the ground about 4 inches apart worked well for
me.
--
Kay