Old 28-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Kay Easton

Default Seedlings going mouldy

In article , Barbara B
writes
My son is having severe problems with his seedlings which germinate fine but
then get covered in mould and die. He says the temperature is right and the
compost is not too moist. They are in a heated outhouse with windows. Any
suggestions?

better ventilation - spread the seedlings out more, take the lid off the
propagator if there is one, remove any dead mouldy bits.

It's less of a problem later on - try re-seeding.

Also his oak tree seedlings which have been growing nicely in
the conservatory all winter have mould on the compost.

That shouldn't be a problem. Remove the mouldy bit. The seedlings should
be OK.
I'd have thought oak seedling would have preferred to be somewhat cooler
over the winter - an unheated conservatory, for example, or even
outside, though prolongue freezing s9olid of the soil in the pots could
give drought problems.

He is trying to grow
wild and native trees and shrubs for his 2 acres of organic bird friendly
garden. He wants to avoid using peat but found coir too fickle (either soggy
or bone dry).

I've found New Horizon (based on wood chippings) OK. I sow seeds in pots
which I then stand in a waterproof tray, so if it dries out the tray
catches the water and allows it to soak up into the pots.

He'll also find a lot of the natives germinate better after a cold
period - good approach is to sow everything, and anything that hasn't
germinated in the first year, leave it outside (protected from
waterlogging) over winter - next spring a host more seeds germinate.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/