Old 17-04-2007, 07:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Default Ant problem

The only thing that works here is Malathion sold as Crawly Cruncher in
supermarkets....BUT I wouldn't recommend it near anything you plan to
eat. Could you spray the ants 'near' your vegie gardens in the hope
this will kill some of them? Maybe lay attractant baits, eg honey in
soup cans etc just near the vegie garden?

I don't get ants in my house (famous last words) as I selectively spray
with the above...it's good for RedBackSpiders too, but last week I
turned on the iron to do some ironing. When checking where the dial
was to make sure it wasn't too hot, I noticed the clear plastic tank was
black!! yuck!!! Slid back the cover on the water tank and emptied
the water into the sink only to discover this black glob was millions of
tiny ants!! I've NEVER seen them in an iron before. Anyway it took
about an hour and several litres of water to get them all washed out,
after I had given a very light spray of fly spray because the little
buggers went everywhere, once disturbed.

There was not a trace of them anywhere else in the house, nor across the
walls/floor/etc so I don't even know how they got to the iron.
Hopefully they drowned in the heavy rain last night and won't return.

Bronwyn ;-)

odonata28 (Linda) wrote:
You too! I've got them everywhere! Ant rid stops them for a while but it
won't hold them back forever....
I spent a small fortune on something that was guaranteed to kill off the
queen (ant that is)
Seems the ant colony must have taken a vote and agreed to carry on without
her cos there still here, business as usual!

Linda at war

"Jeßus" wrote in message
news
Hi All,

I have a 'slight' ant problem here - never seen anything like it before!
They're getting into anything and everything inside the house, and
unfortunately that's not much of an exaggeration :/

Anyway, I'll stick to the garden side of the problem:
Basically they are killing off my plants one by one. So far they've
killed off a few beans, some Kohl Rabi and now one of my Dill plants
is terminal.
Ditto with a Rosemary in a pot. One of my Corianders is looking a little
iffy too.

At first I didn't twig to the problem being ants, but closer inspection
today showed ant trails through the mulch around the affected plants.

As to what kind of ants... not sure, but they're small (.5mm) and dark
brown to black in colour.

I'm sure some of you have had to deal with this problem before, so I'm
hoping you'll have some ideas or solutions...
I grow organically, but am open to any ideas as I'm going to have to do
something soon.

I've tried 'ant sand' and every type of 'ant rid' in the
past, but it doesn't seem to have an impact on the little buggers.

TIA for any ideas