Old 18-04-2007, 12:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

Default Tilling the yard advice please

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 04:39:10 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

All I know is the TV new in the Austin, TX area said herbicide runoff like
roundup are killing invertebrates and fish in and near the local water hole
(Barton Springs).

The purpose of peat moss is to loosen up the soil and breaking down to feed
bacteria, which in turn makes the soil more nutritious to the foliage. I
don't know if your soil needs this or not. You said clay soil. Consider
some sandy soil added, and some peat moss or other organic to feed long
term. Use the tilller to mix it in.

Thanks. Even if I don't manage to get rid of all the crabgrass and
clover, at least the soil will be stirred up. Before I do this I'll
try to get the soil analyzed to find out what I really need to do.