Old 28-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Jack

Default Help Please

Sorry, I should have been clearer -- I cut back the branches only, not the
trunk itself. I left about 12 inches of branches, so it's not quite a knob
on a stick (oooerr!!) Branches had sprung out all over the place,
untidy-like, and were shaped like the spokes of an umbrella -- almost took
my eye out every time I passed by. So I cut off the sticking-out branches,
to leave just the graceful weepy branches. Whether the branches will once
again shoot off into umbrella spokes, I don't know. If they do, I think
I'll just get rid of the tree as it's more trouble than it's worth -- it's
usually full of greenflies, mildew and rust and it doesn't even give me
catkins. I might plant a grafted cherry or cotoneaster in its place. I
just need a bit of height to fill a small raised corner.

Regards,

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
Unfortunately, since they're grafted, you can't cut them right back to
ground level, so you're still left with the knob on a stick. I reckon
the only way to keep them weeping would be to tie down the new growths
with black cotton.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: