Old 18-04-2007, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Name my shrubs, I may be asking too much

On 18/4/07 12:52, in article
, "Muddymike"
wrote:

I have a lot of shrubs in the garden that I don't know the names of or, more
importantly when to prune them. Some are getting a little too big and will
need pruning this year but I don't want to ruin them by pruning at the wrong
time. Perhaps some of you would have the time to take a look at the pictures
I have taken this morning (sorry there are 38 of them) and posted to
http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.public Just click on any one to see
a bigger picture.
This site has provision for you to add comments, but sadly only if you take
time to register. It would be great if someone with the time and knowledge
could add the names and pruning time, if not then please reply with the
information on any you know along with the picture number and I shall add it
to the site as
a permanent record. It would also be good to know if, and when I can take
cuttings from them as I have a lot more space to fill in the garden.

Hello, Mike. I'm not prepared to sign up I'm afraid but I'll try to ID
those I can:
1. Probably Ceanothus
2. Weigela
3. Ribes
4. Kerria japonica (prob. pleniflora)
5. Clematis montana rubra
6. possibly Deutzia gracilis
7. holly of some kind
8. Pyracantha?
9. Chaenomeles
10. Mahonia
11. Forsythia
12. don't know
13. Hebe
14. Berberis
15. another Hebe
16. don't know but it's ringing bells!;
17. possibly Hebe
18.Teucrium, maybe?
19. Buddleia
20. don't know;
21. another Weigela, I think
22. don't know but poss. Photinia looking sick?
23. Buddleia
24. Euonymus
25. Azara maybe; not sure;
26. Again Wigela, Deutzia, something of that sort
27. Symphorocarpos
28. Berberis
29. Rosa rugosa
30. Hebe
31. Hebe
32. Don't know.
33. Euonymus (guessing Emerald 'n Gold
34. Pieris
35. Photinia 'Red Robin'
36. Maybe Philadelphus
37. Cytisus (broom)
38. Hebe

Last one, no idea.

Once everyone has had a go, corrected each other and filled in the gaps,
you'll be able to find pruning regimes in your books or on the net, as well
as on here.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk