Old 18-04-2007, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Name my shrubs, I may be asking too much

On 18 Apr, 13:47, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

1. Not sure, but I think that it's Ceanothus (Californian Lilac)
2. Pass.
3. Ribes uva-crispa (Gooseberry)
4. Kerria japonica 'Flore Pleno'
5. Clematis
6. Pass. It looks a bit like a Forsythia, but I'd assume that you would
have the flowers on that.
7. Holly cultivar
8. Pyracantha (Firethorn)
9. Something rosaceous, perhaps one of the non-native Crataegi.
10. Mahonia; I'm not completely sure whether it's Oregon Grape (Mahonia
aquifolium).
11. Forsythia.
12. Potentilla; a lot of the shrubby Potentillas are cultivars of P.
frutescens, but I can't say whether this one is.
13. Hebe
14. Berberis thunbergii
15. Another Hebe
16. Not sure; perhaps a Berberis, but the flowers look rather solitary.
17. Pass. (Given all the Hebes, this might be yet another one.)

Cherry Laurel Prunus laurocerasus

18. Pass.

Hebe or a lonicera ...

18. Buddleia
20. Possibly another Ceanothus.
21. Isn't that the same as 2?
22. Pass.

Red Robin Photinia x fraseri

23. Buddleia, and probably Buddleia davidii.
24. Possibly Euonymus, of the E. fortunei, etc. persuasion.
25. Ceanothus.
26. Pass.

Tip of my tongue ... later ....

27. Sympharicarpos (Snowberry or Coralberry)
28. Berberis, probably Berberis darwinii
29. Rosa
30. Hebe again.
31. and again.
32. Pass.

Iex opaca

33. Euonymus, again. Might be 'Emeerald 'n' Gold'.
34. Pieris.
35. Photinia 'Red Robin'
36. Pass.

Does little white flowers ... will come to me

37. Cytisus. As it's in flower then it might be one of the forms of
Cytisus x praecox, such as 'Allgold'. (Cytisus x praecox is strongly
scented.)
38. Yet another Hebe.
Also what is this
http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...?sort=4several
have come up since I cleared the Ivy.

39. From the location I'd infer that it's Ivy Broomrape, Orobanche
hederae.

I'd say it's the Orobanche crenata, not hederae whose flowers are much
smaller and thiner. As for pruning ... MuddyMike don't be lasy and
look for it yourself! I'm kidding. If you cannot find the info, try
getting a great pruning book by Dr D.G. Hessayon. He's brilliant and
tell it simply and clearly.