Old 18-04-2007, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Name my shrubs, I may be asking too much

In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message ,
Muddymike writes
I have a lot of shrubs in the garden that I don't know the names of or, more
importantly when to prune them. Some are getting a little too big and will
need pruning this year but I don't want to ruin them by pruning at the wrong
time.

As a general rule, in the absence of any better information, prune
after flowering. If it flowers in autumn, then leave the pruning to
early spring.

3. Ribes uva-crispa (Gooseberry)

... Unless the yellow bits in the picture are flowers, in which case
it's Ribes odorata. Has a tendency for a few branches to die back in
the summer, so don't prune too enthusiastically.

It looks like the unshowy flowers that you get with Ribes uva-crispa or
Ribes nigrum. Ribes odoratum (and Ribes aureum), apart from having showy
yellow flowers, are thornless, and there seem to the thorns/spines
visible in the photograph.

5. Clematis

If it's in flower a the moment, then it's an early flowering one, and
you don't have to prune it unless you want to keep it in check.

9. Something rosaceous, perhaps one of the non-native Crataegi.

With flower buds like that, it looks like Chaenomeles (Japanese quince)

17. Pass. (Given all the Hebes, this might be yet another one.)

Pretty sure it is - does it have lavender flower spikes for a long
period in the second half of the year?

35. Photinia 'Red Robin'

It looks too straggly and not red enough.

39. From the location I'd infer that it's Ivy Broomrape, Orobanche
hederae.

You lucky thing! I've never even seen a broom rape. It's parasitic on
the roots of its host plant.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley