Old 19-04-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JustTom JustTom is offline

Default Pineapple Propagation?

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:06:01 -0400, "J."
wrote:

Two years ago my dad, a retiree in a warm continental US climate, for a
lark rooted the cutoff top of a supermarket pineapple. With care it has
turned into a smallish shrub that now, wonder of wonders, has what
appears to be a few tiny fruiting buds on it. Knowing nothing of
pineapple horticulture he hasn't done too bad in the sandy soil at the
edge of a golf course. But with continued reasonable care can he expect
these fruits to mature into something edible, or are edible pineapples
propagated by other means? Does this plant require a pollinator or is it
self fruiting? He's having fun regardless, but a real fruit would be the
ultimate compliment for his efforts.

I've done this a few times. I live north so I put them in pots, but
the principle is the same.

Yes, they are self fruiting. I believe 2 - 2 1/2 years after
planting, most plants will fruit. Some don't. It then takes about
6 months for the fruit to mature.

The buds are the first step. Should be little blue flowers popping
out over the next few weeks. After they stop, then it will fruit.

If it does fruit, you'll get a smaller version of the original, a
single fruit growing in the center that might be 1/2 or 3/4 smaller,
but definitely edible. It should start out as a flower spike in the
middle of the leaves. 6 months later, enjoy your mini treat.

The ones I've grown have been very sweet. After fruiting, the plant
can theoretically grow another one a year later , and maybe even a
third, but I think I read the fruits were really really small and not
worth the bother so I don't.

Instead you can let it continue to grow the baby plants, shoots, and
suckers that should have appeared on it. Let them grow until they
get pretty good size, remove and plant them, and toss the mother
plant.

If it doesn't fruit, it still makes an interesting houseplant if you
have the room. Just be careful as the leaves get sharp as they get
bigger.