Old 19-04-2007, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kroma Kroma is offline

Default Turfing Question

Hi,

We moved into our house just over a year ago and the front 'garden' was very
'ground force' in style with a brick-bordered cat's toilet of white stones
surrounded by pink stones. The front of the garden had a very overgrown
laurel 'hedge'.

We have removed all of the stones and have added compost to the central
circle and planted bulbs and a small green 'tree'.

We have reduced the height and the depth of the hedge so that it doesn't
obscure the house/garden and so that the back of it doesn't take over lots
of the front garden.

We have dug over and 'sieved' the area which was covered in pink stones (on
top of a carpet of black cloth) in readiness to turf the area.

We now need to raise the level and then turf on top.

Some sources suggest adding compost before adding topsoil followed by turf.
Others suggest just topsoil to raise the level followed by turf.

Any ideas from the experts?

Thanks in advance,

Kroma