Old 19-04-2007, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Name my shrubs, I may be asking too much

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message ,
Muddymike writes
I have a lot of shrubs in the garden that I don't know the names of or, more
importantly when to prune them. Some are getting a little too big and will
need pruning this year but I don't want to ruin them by pruning at the wrong
time.

As a general rule, in the absence of any better information, prune
after flowering. If it flowers in autumn, then leave the pruning to
early spring.

3. Ribes uva-crispa (Gooseberry)

... Unless the yellow bits in the picture are flowers, in which case
it's Ribes odorata. Has a tendency for a few branches to die back in
the summer, so don't prune too enthusiastically.

It looks like the unshowy flowers that you get with Ribes uva-crispa or
Ribes nigrum. Ribes odoratum (and Ribes aureum), apart from having
showy yellow flowers, are thornless, and there seem to the
thorns/spines visible in the photograph.

And having looked at mine, the leaves are shiny and more deeply lobed
than gooseberry, so you're probably right.

--
Kay