Old 20-04-2007, 05:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default water lillies l- ong

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:35:20 CST, earhtmother
wrote:

I plead guilty to being a "lazy" gardener, if it takes too much fuss I
don't want it. That said I LOVE water lillies and have put several
into the pond and while they have always grown and flowered I have
never been happy with the amount of growth and now find that it is due
mainly to my ignorance of planting depth. Apparently I somehow
managed to miss the part about them being 12-18" below the water and
just "assumed' that since water lillies in the lake are at least 4'
below the water mine could be too...OOPPPSS. Now I need a way to
"suspend" my lilly pots so that they are no longer "drowning' in the
middle of the pond at 3.5'. Elaine

You might want to get a hold of some of those lake lilies. ;-) I know Derek
has some down that deep, perhaps he remembers the varieties that grow best
deep?

Or there are these:
http://www.pondbiz.com/home/pb1/page...nderwater.html

Or you can make similar with pvc spray painted black?
Or you can buy black plastic work shop shelving using a bottom and top
piece:
http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-72-.../dp/B0006GNA1E
The above is really good for ponds that are straight sided, no built in
shelves, and fish can hide underneath.

For easier maintenance on deep lilies, put a heavy duty wire on them so you
can hook and pull up to feed, clip pads and dead head old lilies (so DH
doesn't have to go diving). ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us