Old 20-04-2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How cold can 3" plants stand outside?

"Nanzi" wrote in message
ups.com...

betsyb wrote:
Where do you live, state would help?

BetsyB

"Nanzi" wrote in message
ups.com...
I started tomatoes, lavendar, and red salvia plants indoors and take
them out for sun every day. The weather has not been kind to us and
is still in the low 50's.

Without killing my small plants, or letting them get long and leggy,
or just die, how cold can it be for them outside????
TIA, Nanzi

I know what my frost date is, Temperature is temperature no matter
where you are, however I am in Delaware. I'm not talking about
leaving them out overnight, just the lowest temps that will be healthy
or safe for them. They did fine at 54 all day, and I think we're
finally getting some decent weather here. over 65 today.

Thanks for everyones help and advice.

Although gardeners are often too busy in the fall, it's good to pay
attention to which plants are killed by first frost, and which ones laugh at
the cold. Also pay attention to possible "mini-climates" around your home.
East side, near the foundation, you may find certain plants live quite a bit
longer in the fall, and sprout sooner in the spring. This can be a guide to
planting in the future.