Old 20-04-2007, 07:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Andrew Duane Andrew Duane is offline

Default cedar questions

One other data point about making a fence out of trees/shrubs. Lots of
folks around here do that, and all is well for a few years, until one
of the trees in the middle dies. Then there is a hole that can't ever
really be matched up. Arborvitae is the species of choice for doing
that, and I've heard them called "cedar" (along with some types of
Yew) - they do look fairly similar.

But, as said before, make sure you know what you're getting, how the
nursery thinks they'll do in that soil with competition from Maples,
etc. And, HOW BIG THEY WILL GET over how long a time. A previous owner
of my house loved Canadian Hemlocks, as do I. However, the two really
beautiful specimens he planted are a mere 8' from the house. At least
they were when planted. Now they are about 1' from the house. IN
anouther couple of years, they're going to be chainsawed away from the
house :-(

On Apr 14, 10:39 am, "dj" wrote:
Our local box store has a sale on five-six foot cedars and I've been kicking
around the idea of replacing a fence with this plant. I don't know what
type of cedar they are, but I see them everywhere (southern ON Can.) My
questions, How well will this plant handle Maple tree roots. There is all
day sun, but the fine/fibrous roots of the tree restrict the growth of
clematis (SP). The area is fairly wet and clay. Also these plants would be
two-three feet for a neighbours house. I mention that only because someone
told me that the back of the plants would not fill in being close to
something like a house.
Mostly I'm concerned about the maple roots though, and if they can handle
them.
If any one can steer me in the right direction, it would be most
appreciated!