Old 20-04-2007, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default Name my shrubs, I may be asking too much

Wonderful garden you have there. Thank you to let us walk through it
with you.

The garden is a major reason we bought the house, we made an offer, and it
was accepted, long before we even set foot inside the house. Having sorted
the inside of the house over the last two years, the garden is taking a lot
of my spare time at the moment to get it manageable. I have cleared and
turfed a large overgrown area (hiring a mini digger made this easy and fun)
overlooked by contract gardeners for the last ten years. Cut down as many
trees as I am allowed to, we are in a conservation area and the rules on
tree cutting is strict. Removed countless piles of ivy. Created kerbs
between lawns and beds to make mowing simpler. Planted 100s of daffodils
along with 30 or more roses. With around an acre to care for, and only the
bit immediately around the house being maintained for many years, around a
third of it is being ignored at present, but I have big plans for that bit
once the rest is under control. Watch this space.

I have the day off work today and am busy laying concrete foundations for a
replacement hut. The existing one is old, tatty and rotting. It stands about
3 feet away from an equally unsightly concrete sectional garage with a
leaking roof. The plan is to demolish the hut, build 3 new timber walls,
using one side of the garage as the fourth wall. Fabricate a new roof over
the whole lot, finally clad the exterior of both new hut and visible walls
of the garage with vertical tongue and groove cladding. This will double the
size of the hut and improve the appearance of the whole thing. I have
settled on http://www.steadmans.co.uk/products/as2000.htm for the roof. Not
cheap, but lightweight, and looks good. I went to see a filling station that
had had a new canopy built using it and until I got up close and studied it
I thought I was looking at the wrong roof it looks so much like slate.

Mike