Old 20-04-2007, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Planting out runner beans?

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:05:41 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 19/4/07 15:45, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

I started to plant out some runner beans which have been started in the
greenhouse, SWMBO has told me there may be frosts which will affect them.

Is it possible there will still be some frost, and what effect would it have
on the beans anyway?

Alan

2 or 3 years ago we had frost at the very end of May. An allotment
neighbour went on holiday, and planted out his beans and outdoor
tomatoes before going. He lost the lot.
We may not get another frost, but it's a big risk. If you plant the
beans just inside the canes, you could wrap fleece around the cane
structure up to 2 or 3 feet, which might be enough.
Depends where you are.

Pam in Bristol