Old 20-04-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Leggy Mahonia

On 20/4/07 16:03, in article ,
"Chris J Dixon" wrote:

I have a Mahonia about 20 years old. It has always had good
dense foliage, until last year, when a lot of the lower leaves
were lost and not replaced by new growth. I have noticed around
the country, in much grander gardens than mine, that many
Mahonias do seem to have gone leggy.

I have, at times taken out the growing tips, to keep it
manageable, and help it to bush.

Do I simply hope that it fares better this year, put it down to
age (no, not mine) or what?

Ray tells me that we have one that's about 50 years old. He suggests that
you cut back one part of the Mahonia to see if it will shoot again because
this is what he did with ours. But he says don't do the whole thing at
once!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk