Old 20-04-2007, 05:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_11_] Reel McKoi[_11_] is offline

Default Planting pond plants

"chereena" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just bought a bunch of plants online from Live Aquaria and their
instructions say that you should use "aquatic plant soil." Is this
really necessary and, if so, where do you get it? Also recommends
fertilizer tablets. A little nervous about the effect of fertilizer
on the fish. If someone has experience with this, would love to get
some feedback. Thanks.

=============================
I use regular clay soil from behind the house what was never sprayed or
treated in any way. I top it off with large gravel from Home Depot.
Fortunately my koi aren't bad about digging in the pots. The goldfish don't
do that. I am slowly switching to a finer gravel as I suspect the clay
particles are what makes some of my ponds or tubs cloudy.

Jobe's Rose spikes broken into several pieces work fine and are much cheaper
than anything made for pond plants.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.