Old 20-04-2007, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
William Wagner William Wagner is offline

Default Any such thing as male and female tree?

In article ,
"Jimmy S." wrote:

I was told by my local nursery folk when I tried to purchase an asian pear
tree.
He said that I should plant at least two's that way they can
cross-pollinate
one another, and hopefully one is male and the other is female !

I was aware of cross-pollination business, but I really got lost when
he mentioned about male/female plant!! I would like you experts
in this forum to comment on the subject --- he seemed to know what
he was taking about. If he was right -which I doubt it, how do I correctly
pick the right sex?

Thanks in advance

JIMMY

I have a single asian pear that bears.

I also have a male holly planted on purpose.

Single and double flowers yet another variable.

Have fun wading about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_tree_pollination

Bill

--