Old 21-04-2007, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Amending soil for shrubs, etc

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:10:43 -0700,
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Hello,
When gardeners talk about 'amending soil with compost', what does that
mean??
.
Here is my question...Say I am building raised beds. I want to plant shrubs
in the raised beds. I am using lousy soil from another part of the yard. I
will amend the soil....But...is it important to put compost in the entire
bed, or within an area around the roots, and/or what??

Spread it over the entire bed, and mix it in evenly, before you
plant the shrubs.

EVENLY is the operative word!

BTW, if your "lousy" soil happens to be on the alkalineside
(like So. Calif adobe) you might want to add something to rectify the
acid-alkaline balance. Also, if soil is "heavy", you could add some
vermiculite or Perlite that creates "gaps" in soil. I'm not
explaining this very well...g

Persephone