Old 19-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Fred Garvin

Default Beginner seeks advice on orchid plants, books, fertilizing, growing medium .....

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:25:59 -0500, Tessmann wrote:

I *finally* bought some orchid plants - something I've been wanting to do
for a long time. I live in Dearborn, MI, which is near Detroit. I
attended a seminar at a local gardening store and they had phalaenopsis
in a variety of different colors and patterns. They were buy one get one
free so I got four, and went back after they got another shipment and got
six more. My wife questioned my *sudden interest* but has decided she
likes the colors on several of them.

You're already hooked I see!Phals are a great beginner's orchid.

Most of them had at least one flower open and now they have three or four
open.

I started reading the orchid newsgroup and decided it's time to ask for
help.

What are good types (families) for beginners or should I focus on the
phalaenopsis until I have the hang of this? Anyone have any *baby*
plants they want to donate or sell?

Phals, you picked a good type!

I'm looking for recommendations on books for a beginning orchid grower.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. If you have some you've *outgrown*
and would like to sell, pls send title, price, etc.

Ortho's All about orchids is very good.

Recommendations about fertilizing? At the seminar she said use high
nitrogen fertilizer in summer and high middle number in fall for flowers.
Also said use very weak strength and use at every watering. When should
I switch to fertilizer for flowers? Is it OK to fertilize while they're
flowering? Some of the hang tags say not to.

I fertilize every other watering with a half strength orchid food.
Don't go nuts with different fertilizers, stick with one all year IMHO.
You'll hear about people using Epson salts, don't bother. USe a well
balanced fertilizer and that's all you need.

What's best growing medium? Most are in moss and two in bark.

Both are good, I prefer bark. Each require a different watering
regimen. Water well when *almost* dry. Don't allow them to completely dry
out though.

Enjoy your orchids!