Old 21-04-2007, 05:00 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
beecrofter beecrofter is offline

Default Any such thing as male and female tree?

On Apr 20, 3:30 pm, "Jimmy S." wrote:
I was told by my local nursery folk when I tried to purchase an asian pear
tree.
He said that I should plant at least two's that way they can
cross-pollinate
one another, and hopefully one is male and the other is female !

I was aware of cross-pollination business, but I really got lost when
he mentioned about male/female plant!! I would like you experts
in this forum to comment on the subject --- he seemed to know what
he was taking about. If he was right -which I doubt it, how do I correctly
pick the right sex?

Thanks in advance

JIMMY

You have single sex trees that are either male or female aka
"monoecious"
And you have trees that produce both pollen and have ovaries aka
"dioecious"

But some trees that are dioecious are also self infertile and cannot
pollinate themselves.

If you want to find the skinny on which trees need what, look for the
pollination handbook on the AI Root Website
It's called McGregors Pollination Handbook.
here is the link-http://www.beeculture.com/content/
pollination_handbook/