Old 28-03-2003, 04:08 PM
animaux

Default Azaleas

I have not looked at a soil survey lately, but if I'm not mistaken, Zilker Park
is part of an escarpment which has a strip of acidic soil running through. Most
places, with the exception of Tyler or east Texas are suitable for azaleas. The
soil is not deep enough, nor is the pH low enough. You would have to virtually
remove two feet of soil and replace it with soil specific for growing azaleas.
There are so many other wonderful plants to choose from which are not fussy and
which are just as nice.

I believe adaptation to a somewhat craggy landscape we have in the Hill Country
is (or should be) a requirement to having a successful landscape.

Azaleas are not suitable in central Texas.

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 23:10:06 GMT, "L & S"
wrote:

I had been led to believe that azaleas do not do well in Austin. Yesterday
I was at the Zilker Botanical Garden, and they are abloom EVERYWHERE!
Absolutely stunning! Are there special steps that must be taken to ensure
their success - or am I wrong about azaleas and Austin? Thanks for any
advice you can offer. Sarah (who is suffering greatly from azalea envy!)