Old 21-04-2007, 01:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Benno Benno is offline

Default clematis

Hi,

On 2007-04-20, cowslip wrote:
I have tried without much success to grow clematis plants. The advice
states to keep the roots in shade which I have done but the plants
always seem to fail. Can anyone recommend a particular variety of
clematis which is easy to grow? The soil is good quality, fertile, ph
neutral and I live in the north east of England.

General advice I got is _not_ to choose the clematis with large flowers
or exceptional long flowering period, but select the more modest clematis
types. The one we bought with smaller flower and flowering period of
one month instead of two or more months, is now growing much faster and
covering a larger area (still spring though here in the Netherlands)
than the types with large flowers (or with two flowering periods).

Success,

-- Benno