Old 21-04-2007, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
beecrofter beecrofter is offline

Default Any such thing as male and female tree?

On Apr 21, 7:33 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message .com,
beecrofter writes

On Apr 20, 3:30 pm, "Jimmy S." wrote:
I was told by my local nursery folk when I tried to purchase an asian pear
tree.
He said that I should plant at least two's that way they can
cross-pollinate
one another, and hopefully one is male and the other is female !

I was aware of cross-pollination business, but I really got lost when
he mentioned about male/female plant!! I would like you experts
in this forum to comment on the subject --- he seemed to know what
he was taking about. If he was right -which I doubt it, how do I correctly
pick the right sex?

Thanks in advance

JIMMY

You have single sex trees that are either male or female aka
"monoecious"
And you have trees that produce both pollen and have ovaries aka
"dioecious"

You have monoecious and dioecious reversed. For more detail than the OP
probably wants see

http://www.malvaceae.info/Biology/SexDistribution.html

But some trees that are dioecious are also self infertile and cannot
pollinate themselves.

The usual situation in Rosaceae is that plants are synoecious (all
flowers produce pollen and have ovaries) but there are exceptions. I
would expect that pears are the same, and the need from a separate
pollinator arises from self-incompatibility rather from the trees being
gendered. However to be sure one has to investigate, as you say below,
the situation obtaining in a particular species, or even a particular
cultivar.

If you want to find the skinny on which trees need what, look for the
pollination handbook on the AI Root Website
It's called McGregors Pollination Handbook.
here is the link-http://www.beeculture.com/content/
pollination_handbook/

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

That has been happening lately, I also reversed some items on my taxes
and ended up filing an extension.
In any case McGregors will prove very usefull.
Thanks
Tom