Old 21-04-2007, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default clematis

On 20 Apr 2007 16:13:35 -0700, cowslip
wrote:

I have tried without much success to grow clematis plants. The advice
states to keep the roots in shade which I have done but the plants
always seem to fail. Can anyone recommend a particular variety of
clematis which is easy to grow? The soil is good quality, fertile, ph
neutral and I live in the north east of England.

Thank you

I have 'Jackmanii' and 'C.paniculata' aka sweet autumn clematis. My
Jackmanii is indestructible, in good soil growing up through my
antique rose 'Sombruiele' (sp?) and is loaded with flowers and buds.
I am growing 'Stachys' aka lambs ears at the base to cover the soil
where the roots are and it is flowering now with tons of flowers.